Computer & Internet Policy
The Cohoes Public Library is pleased to be able to offer computer and Internet services to the community. Patrons will be able to access a vast array of information for all ages and interests. This library policy is for the management of computer data networks and the resources they make available, as well as stand-alone computers that are owned by the Cohoes Public Library (CPL). It specifies the Library's objectives in providing computing resources for public use, and the responsibilities assumed by the users of such resources.
The Cohoes Public Library is committed to providing patrons with access to the latest available technology. The Internet, a global network of electronic resources both educational and recreational, is the newest technology available. Given the constantly changing nature of the Internet and the lack of any governing body, there may be occasions when information accessed is of a controversial nature. While it is not the library's policy to censor any patrons use of material in any way, it is deemed inappropriate use of public computers in an open environment for any individual or group to access graphic material of a sexual or violent nature.
The Internet also contains some printed and visual material, which some parents may find inappropriate for their children. It is not the Library's place to decide what ideas a child should be exposed to, therefore, children under 18 years of age but over 8 years of age must have a permission slip signed by a parent to use the computers. Children 8 years of age or younger must be accompanied by a parent or guardian to use the computers.
Cohoes Public Library will provide a computer or computers for the public to access both general computer services, such as word processing, and a variety of networked electronic resources, including databases (such as the library catalog and magazine indexes) and the Internet.
Cohoes Public Library will provide these services to all patrons who provide a valid library card (card must be current and fine free).
Responsibilities of Users
Computer Users at Cohoes Public Library are responsible for following all guidelines, rules and regulations pertaining to computer use. Staff reserves the right to ask patrons to stop and or leave the computer or the library at time.
Computer Use Guidelines
Computer users at the Cohoes Public Library:
- Must refrain from illegal or unethical use of the Internet
- Must respect intellectual property by only downloading information or computer files with proper permission
- Must respect the privacy of others
- Must not misrepresent themselves, or attempt to gain unauthorized access either inside or outside the library
- Must not alter, remove, copy, or damage configurations, software or hardware on library computers
- May not install any software on library computers
- Display of sexually explicit graphics is inappropriate for a public and open environment and is prohibited
Rules & Regulations
- No food or Drink at the computers
- Patrons may sign to up for 1/2 hour time periods, with a maximum of one hour per day
- Patrons may only sign-up for 1 time slot per day
- A Valid library card must be shown to sign-up
- Patrons under 18 years of age must have permission slips signed by their parents on file at the library in order to go on an Internet computer or sit with someone else at an Internet computer.
- Children 8 years or younger must be accompanied by a parent or guardian
- Only 2 people on the computer at any time
- No chat rooms
- Patrons may download to a disk only
- Printer use: $0.10 per copy