How do I file a small claim?
In order to file a small claim in our Court, the person whom you are suing (the Defendant) must either live or work in the County of Albany. In other words, the address you provide the Court must be located in Albany County. You do need an exact address. You cannot use a P.O. Box. The amount of your claim cannot exceed $5,000.

Once you have this information, you may file the paperwork at the Court Office, Monday through Friday between 8:30 a.m. and 3 p.m. Corporations, partnerships and associations having a principal office in the State of New York may bring a commercial claim against a person or a business located in Albany County for an amount up to $5,000.

The Court may hear cases brought by DBAs provided they show proof that they are, in fact, a DBA. For more information, you may pick up a booklet on Small Claims at the Court Office.

Show All Answers

1. Are Court sessions open to the public?
2. How can I pay my fine?
3. How do I file a small claim by myself for back rent?
4. How do I file a small claim?
5. How do I get a public defender?
6. How do I contact the Court's Office?
7. What do I do if I get a parking ticket?
8. What do I do if I get a suspension notice?
9. What do I do if I get a traffic ticket?